Please note that pursuant to Act 119 of 2014, Senatorial endorsement of notary applications will no longer be required effective January 5, 2015.
We're pleased to announce the Department of State's new Online Notary Public Application System. This new tool will allow Pennsylvania notaries public and prospective notaries public to apply for and renew their notary commissions in an efficient paperless process. This new approach will simplify handling, thereby reducing the expenditure of tax dollars, eliminate paperwork, simplify the payment procedures and enable better customer service to notaries.
The Online Notary Public Application System will require the same information currently required as part of the paper application. However, if you are unable to enter or upload all the required information in one session, your online application data will not be saved. Therefore, please ensure that you have all the following information and documentation listed below before using the Online Notary Public Application System:
- Current or most recent commission expiration date and/or commission ID number (if applying for reappointment).
- Name and district number of the State Senator in whose district you reside (or if you reside outside Pennsylvania, in whose district you are employed).
- Proof of mandatory notary education (if required).
- Criminal history documentation and explanation (if required).
- Notary public disciplinary documentation and explanation (if required).
- Other professional/occupational license disciplinary documentation and explanation (if required).
NOTE: Documents for upload must be in ..DOC, .DOCX, .JPG, .JPEG, .PDF, .RTF, .TIF or .TIFF format.
Becoming a Notary Public
To continue to the online application we need to know if you are applying to become a notary public for the first time (New Appointment) or if you are already a notary public or have ever been a notary public in Pennsylvania before and are applying for a reappointment. Please select the appropriate button below.